A birth injury could change a family’s life forever. The infant may suffer a permanent injury or disability, while the parents must adapt to raising a child with special needs. Just one mistake from a nurse or physician during pregnancy, birth or delivery could result in long-lasting damages. If your child suffered a preventable injury during his or her birth, a Florida birth injury attorney could help you fight for fair compensation. Contact Kelley | Uustal for legal counsel you can trust.
Why Choose Our Florida Birth Injury Lawyers?
- You need a birth injury lawyer with experience. The attorneys at Kelley | Uustal have spent years handling complex personal injury cases, including many birth injury claims.
- You will benefit from personal attention. Your lawyer will spend hours meeting with you, listening to your story and tailoring a legal strategy for your unique needs.
- You will not pay unless we win. Kelley | Uustal operates on a contingency fee basis, meaning you will only pay attorney’s fees if your lawyer wins the case on your behalf.
How a Kelley | Uustal Can Help
A birth injury lawyer can help your family by identifying who or what caused your child’s injuries. A lawyer can investigate the incident and search for signs of medical negligence, such as lack of communication in the birthing room or improper use of birth-assisting tools. Your lawyer can then gather any available evidence to build a case against the physician, hospital or birthing center. Finally, your lawyer can handle settlement negotiations with the defendant on your family’s behalf. An attorney will fight to protect your child’s rights.
Damages and Settlements for Birth Injuries
Damages during a civil claim refer to both the losses the victim suffered and the compensation he or she could potentially recover. Your family’s damages in a successful birth injury lawsuit could provide recovery for both your economic and noneconomic losses. You could get back any tangible or intangible damages your child suffered because of the defendant’s negligence.
- Injury-related treatments, surgeries, therapies and rehabilitation
- Education for your special-needs child
- Home or vehicle disability accommodations
- The child’s physical pain from injuries
- Emotional, mental and psychosocial suffering
- The family’s mental anguish
Most birth injury claims in Florida settle without the family needing to take the defendant to trial. This is especially true if the family has a lawyer negotiating the settlement. A settlement is faster and often cheaper than taking a case to trial. The trial lawyers at Kelley | Uustal, however, have the power to take your claim to court if necessary for full compensation.
Common Types of Birth Injury Claims
In our years in the personal injury practice, our injury attorneys have seen and handled many types of birth injury lawsuits on behalf of injured infants’ families. Learning the most common types of birth injury claims could help you and your family understand whether you have grounds for a lawsuit against a doctor or hospital in Florida.
- Brain damage and related conditions, including cerebral palsy
- Shoulder dystocia
- Brachial plexus injuries (and Erb’s palsy)
- Facial paralysis
- Spinal cord injuries
- Tool-related lacerations and other injuries
- Broken bones
If you suspect medical malpractice at the heart of your child’s birth injuries, contact a Florida birth injury lawyer right away. Get medical help and treat your child’s injuries promptly. Keep copies of medical instructions and health care bills. Before you take on an insurance claim or lawsuit alone, speak to an attorney for assistance with the claims process.
Contact Kelley | Uustal for a Free Case Review
The lawyers at Kelley | Uustal care about families in Florida. Our lead birth injury attorneys, Bob Kelley and John Uustal, started the firm to do justice for injured victims. They are passionate about standing up for the rights of the world’s most vulnerable population – infants. Our firm always puts people first and will stand by your side during every phase of the legal process. Let us fight for fair compensation on your child’s behalf. Contact our Florida birth injury attorneys today.